User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oakland, CALI - Head to the Hills Rally #12, 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rico, lets just shut this thread down. The ride is over.

Nick rides 20 miles each way to work on a Vespa. Sure, a new Vespa, but still he chooses a scooter to get to work. He had a Lambretta for a long time and even brought other Lambretta riders into our club. When he realized the commuting thing wouldn't work he sold his Lambretta to a club member to fund his Vespa purchase. On our ride he rode in the very back most of the time and even parked across the parking lot from the vintage rides so as to not hurt any "vibe". He asked ahead of time if he could come along, he didn't just show up. And as a founding member of The 24 Hours of Lemons, he's got more cred than most in our opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is nothing wrong with driving the Sag wagon. There are more ways than riding a scooter to have fun on a rally. I'm sure the guy in question knows some folks the have more than one running vintage scooter as well. Mike Zorn loaned me a scoot once and he hardly knew me. I now have a scoot that I can loan if my wife isn't riding it. There are options, plenty of them. If you want to invite whomever wants to show on whatever suits them then say it's an inclusive ride, but, If you advertise your rally as a vintage event then it's your duty to back that up, no excuses.

3. Likes alexofc69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, I remember some of the organizers of the SF Classic posting that they won't kick out any modern scoot if they have a good attitude and can ride, but they ask them to park around the corner at the end spot. SO even the Classic is not 100% classic. I don't have the time or desire to look up the post to prove it.

I thought HTTH was classic this year too. But it wasn't enough of an issue to me that 1 metal modern vespa showed up. And it is way better than it got a few years ago (very few moderns now).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jambretta View Post
    Funny, I remember some of the organizers of the SF Classic posting that they won't kick out any modern scoot if they have a good attitude and can ride, but they ask them to park around the corner at the end spot. SO even the Classic is not 100% classic. I don't have the time or desire to look up the post to prove it.

I thought HTTH was classic this year too. But it wasn't enough of an issue to me that 1 metal modern vespa showed up. And it is way better than it got a few years ago (very few moderns now).
    What year was that? That hasn't been the case since the decision was made to eliminate non classic scoots. The last 3 or four runnings have been bereft of non classics save for the odd interloper, whom, are invited to leave by the nearest Black Sheep. No exclusions! Folks on Modern Scoots can come to the custom show and park their rides away from the pack but no Modern or non classic scoots are allowed on any SF Classic ride. Period. That is the policy, it has been enforced and will not change.

6. Likes alexofc69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally feel that it is essential that there exists "Classics Only" Scooter Rides and events. SSSC, Rage 27, and this weekend's (SSSC) Mod vs. Rockers are NOT "Classics Only." Myself and others are excited to organize "Classic Only" rides and events and expect that we don't have to waste any energy explaining, let alone losing a "Classic" scooterist to spoon-feed modern scooter enthusiasts that "this is a 'Classic Only Scooter Ride,' (blah, blah, blah), so please go and organize your own modern scooter ride."

There exists TWO legitimate scooter scenes: one is with mixed modern scooters and classic scooters and another with classic scooters only! I strongly believe that there needs to be RESPECT between both scenes and that we can ALL benefit from supporting one another??!!
    Encouraging respect and space for difffernet modes of thought: postcapitalism, alternative productions, "Barefoot" Economy & "Vintage/Classic Only" Scooter Rallies.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Goodwill\My Documents\My Pictures\BOYCOTT PLASTIC RAGE 27![/IMG]

8. Likes alexofc69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa-Marie View Post
    I There exists TWO legitimate scooter scenes
    Warning Will Robinson warning: Scene splitting ahead. I think its legal now in cali-for-ni-a! Kidding. I know this is a serious subject and I'll try an keep my mouf shut.

10. Thanks BaronVonMike thanked for this post
    Likes BaronVonMike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So organize your own rides then and stop pestering other people!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa-Marie View Post
    I personally feel that it is essential that there exists "Classics Only" Scooter Rides and events. SSSC, Rage 27, and this weekend's (SSSC) Mod vs. Rockers are NOT "Classics Only." Myself and others are excited to organize "Classic Only" rides and events and expect that we don't have to waste any energy explaining, let alone losing a "Classic" scooterist to spoon-feed modern scooter enthusiasts that "this is a 'Classic Only Scooter Ride,' (blah, blah, blah), so please go and organize your own modern scooter ride."

There exists TWO legitimate scooter scenes: one is with mixed modern scooters and classic scooters and another with classic scooters only! I strongly believe that there needs to be RESPECT between both scenes and that we can ALL benefit from supporting one another??!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think it was pestering. I think it raised awareness to try to foster a better scootering community Classic and Non-Classic. It may have been a little complex and in your face. But It got attention which ever you want to look at it. And you may not see it - but its not just one crazy lady. I personally have stayed away for a very long time for these reasons. The above quote is as simple as it gets. Either way everyone can work together or do their own thing. Its not going to happen instantly - but there will be some cool stuff happening in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
    So organize your own rides then and stop pestering other people!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for classic only rides and support them whenever I can. I would never advocate showing up on A modern bike to a classic ride and respect clubs that turn people who show up on moderns away. The only thing I have objected to is the "boycott" and it's focus on my club. I feel like I have adequately explained our position on tolerating some modern riders so I won't get into that further. If Lisa Marie's goal is to promote unity, she needs to stop bagging on other people's rallies and shift her focus on getting involved in setting up more classic rallies. There is plenty of room on the calendar to do this without conflict.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Unity" has been misappropriated in insisting that modern scoots ride with "classic only" rides. I promote respect towards each other. I boycott Rage 27 b/c this community lacks respect for other people's rides and events. Actually, Rage 27 will probably have more classic scoots showing up this year b/c of the boycott!

I want to be able to be part of a scene that resembles what it was like in the 80s and 90s and for it to thrive here in San Francisco and elsewhere. Many people feel the same way as I do and want to create the space (territory) for these events to happen. It is also my understanding that these same issues also exist in LA and Seattle: modern scooters insisting upon rally unity and riding with "Classic Only."

I want people to realize that there exists tons of potential for the classic scene to grow.

SSSC is no longer what it used to be and that is fine, no one has critiqued them/you, I've met fabulous people on modern scooters and motorcycles, and have been respectful to SSSC and its community, and so have other classic enthusiasts.

I want that respect reciprocated.

I would like very much for someone like Jimbo to lay down the law for "Classic Only" rides and events. This will be helpful for modern scooters to think, before they trespass, and create reason for boycott. No more arrogance when modern scoots and motos show up. Modern scooters at a "Classic Only" ride is disrespectful and harmful to the "Classic Only" scene.

(Please find the humor and good intentions.)
    A Disclaimer: After realizing that BS boycott thread was still visible is not cool, while original boycott thread deleted, and noticing a signature opposing boycott compelled me to dish (it) back.
    Encouraging respect and space for difffernet modes of thought: postcapitalism, alternative productions, "Barefoot" Economy & "Vintage/Classic Only" Scooter Rallies.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Goodwill\My Documents\My Pictures\BOYCOTT PLASTIC RAGE 27![/IMG]