Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by jambretta View Post
    HEAD TO THE HILLS 12 APRIL 26 – 28 - OAKLAND, CA

Strap on your combat boots and hop on your vintage scooter; it’s time again for Head to the Hills, the mega-super-awesome East Bay rally. This year we are having a shorter, yet still amazing Saturday ride. Read on, soldier!
    Friday April 26 – 830PM meet at First & Last Chance Bar in Jack London Square located at 48 Webster Street, Oakland, CA 94607 (MAP IT). Ride leaves at 9PM. We will *not* being doing a ghetto ride any longer as the railroad tracks have claimed too many scooters. The ride last about 1 hour and will end up at Trader Vic’s in Emeryville located at 9 Anchor Drive Emeryville, CA 94608 (MAP IT). Hula hula, hubba hubba.

Saturday, April 27 – 9:30AM meet at Cole Coffee on the Oakland/Berkeley border (no ID required for border crossing) located at 307 63rd Street Oakland, CA 94618 (MAP IT). We’ll be riding around the Claremont Hotel, into the hills down Grizzly Peak and onto Skyline, down Pinehurst past the town of Canyon, onto Redwood and into Castro Valley. After a short gas/pit stop, we’ll be heading down Palomares into Livermore Wine Country, down to Niles, into Sonol, and onto Stacey’s Cafe (or any of the other local eateries) in Pleasanton for lunch. After lunch we’ll head to Dublin County Road and along 580 back to Castro Valley, around Lake Chabot, up Golf Links Road, back along Skyline, dropping into Montclair Village, then back over to Cole Coffee. The ride is a short 80 miles in total compared to our old ride of 125 miles.

Sunday, April 28 – 9:30AM meet at Westside Bakery in Berkeley located at 2570 9th St # 125, Berkeley, CA 94710 (MAP IT). The food is excellent and the staff is usually slow with a crappy attitude. Ride leaves at 10AM. We’ll be winding up into the Berkeley hills, past the fountain, and into Tilden Park. After Tilden Park we will be heading into Briones and along the “3 bears”, into Alhambra Valley Rd. in Martinez and onto Franklin Canyon Rd, which will take us into Port Costa and our lunch stop, the Warehouse Cafe located at 5 Canyon Lake Drive Port Costa, CA 94569 (MAP IT). Usually they have BBQ, 400+ types of beer, and a great blues or rock band playing. Return route will be the reverse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jambretta View Post
    ONLY about a WEEK to go. Just a reminder.

dang, just got a vintage too, but will be in Vegas for Prince!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard that there was someone(s)? that didn't read the vintage scooter part and showed up on plastic. Did anyone try to talk the guy away? It's not hard to hold the line if one is serious and willing to make it known. Can someone report?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was no plastic on Saturday. One Modern Vespa from a known friend who sold his Lambretta b/c he needed a scoot he could commute on regularly. No drama, just a great time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if it needs to be explained as to what is a Vintage Only Ride or Classic Only. There's was no drama and I really appreciated everyone's fabulous attitude. And, I was suprised to see Nick on modern red Vespa at a Vintage only ride, please correct me if I'm wrong, yet am under the impression that Head to the Hills was Vintage Only? Naturally, there's always going to be 101 reasons why the Lambretta, etc. is not running, and this also speaks to the dedication that others put in to keep their scooters on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we started Head To The Hills (12 years ago) it was for any motorized vehicle that could keep up. Our club isn't vintage only either. As the years went by we realized that most of the dangerous issues that happened during the rides were almost always newbie riders that were almost always on new scooters or motorcycles. This came to a head a few years ago when a gal riding in flip flops on a Buddy had a serious accident that involved a crash into barbed wire. From then on we stated "vintage only" as a way to hopefully cut down on the liability. Nick has been in the club forever and would even be welcomed on an MP3.

8. Thanks Lisa-Marie thanked for this post
    Likes Lisa-Marie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thus you are not Vintage Only. This is important to know b/c there are many people that do want to ride Vintage Only Scooter rallies. Moreover, this clearly explains why people from the modern/mixed communities feel comfortable showing up at other “Vintage Only Scooter” rallies. I have no desire in asking people to be truthful in their advertisement and do want to understand why there exists a lack of respect for the rallies that are truthfully "Vintage Only Scooter" rallies/rides/events, etc. This is insightful and thank you for your response, ML

Encouraging respect and space for difffernet modes of thought: postcapitalism, alternative productions, "Barefoot" Economy & "Vintage/Classic Only" Scooter Rallies.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Goodwill\My Documents\My Pictures\BOYCOTT PLASTIC RAGE 27![/IMG]

10. Thanks alexofc69 thanked for this post
    Likes alexofc69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the reason to support Classic not Plastic, LALO and The SF Classic. Maybe we could compile a list of rides that are Classic only and whose organizers make the extra effort to ensure that there are no modern or non-Classic interlopers.
    I truly enjoy the 49 mile ride in SF which is for classic bikes and scooters. I remember going and seeing modern meat head choppers on the ride and thinking it was lame. That ride is a pretty big event, who knows if the modern choppers were out for a ride anyway and decided to tag along, it happens and things like that can't be controlled. A couple years ago on the Classic a woman on a motorcycle joined in mid way through the ride, I talked to her, she was friends with someone on the ride and thought she would tag along and block traffic for us, her spirit was in the right place but I explained the policy as nicely as I could but had to become insistent when she resisted, actually blocking her path because she was trying to get around me and blow me off. I wasn't having that. Sometimes you have to be unwavering and willing to be perceived as an asshole. I'm not saying to be an asshole, but if someone wants to feel slighted it's really on them.

12. Thanks alexofc69, Lisa-Marie thanked for this post
    Likes alexofc69, Lisa-Marie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you went to this rally, had fun, but now your panties are in a bunch cause a member of the hosting club and long time vintage rider had the gaul to show up to his own club's rally on whatever the fuck he wanted to ride?
    INCONCEIVABLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa-Marie View Post
    Thus you are not Vintage Only. This is important to know b/c there are many people that do want to ride Vintage Only Scooter rallies. Moreover, this clearly explains why people from the modern/mixed communities feel comfortable showing up at other “Vintage Only Scooter” rallies. I have no desire in asking people to be truthful in their advertisement and do want to understand why there exists a lack of respect for the rallies that are truthfully "Vintage Only Scooter" rallies/rides/events, etc. This is insightful and thank you for your response, ML